November 14, 2011 is Diabetes Awareness Day in Mississippi
Governor Haley Barbour has proclaimed November 14, 2011 as Diabetes Awareness Day in the State of Mississippi.
- Mississippi has the 2nd highest rate of diagnosed adult diabetes in the nation.
- More than 270,000 adult Mississippians are living with type 2 diabetes.
- Another 24,000 adult Mississippians have pre-diabetes.
- In 2010, 926 deaths in Mississippi were linked to type 2 diabetes.
- Estimated annual cost of diabetes in Mississippi is 1.77 billion.